Wednesday, April 21, 2010

My World Vision Experience

With the help of World Vision I was able to visit my sponsored child in Manipur, India.  Definitely an experience of a lifetime!

Most of the content on my blog will focus on digital marketing and technology but I wanted to use this post to bring some awareness to the World Vision organization.  I always told myself that I would sponsor a child when I completed my education and actually had some money so when I entered the working world, I sponsored a 3-year old girl in Manipur, India (Meigui looking great in a Hockey Canada toque!).  In speaking to a friend who also sponsors through World Vision, told me that her and her husband actually met their sponsored child which I thought was pretty amazing.  I started looking into the process with World Vision Canada and I was finally able to visit my sponsored child in 2005.
It goes without saying that it was one of the most memorable experiences in my life!  My sponsored child's name is Meigui Kamei and lives in a tribal village in Manipur, India.  I was in Manipur for 3-days and the one thing that stood out for me was what happened when I met Meigui at her home.  When you send letters, pictures, etc. through World Vision you really have no idea where it's going and trust that it will get into the right hands.  When Meigui came down the stairs (more like a ladder) in her home, she brought down a shoe-box which she opened in front of me which contained everything that I had sent her over the years... let's just say it was a pretty emotional moment!  A portion of funds goes to the child for food, medication and education and the rest is pooled for the community thus I also visited World Vision's "Hope Center" which helps widowed women (partners passed away from HIV) a place to learn trades and participate in community activities.

If you are thinking about sponsoring a child, I would highly recommend World Vision from first-hand experience.  Upon my return to Toronto, my mother and I sponsored 2-additional children in India and Africa, Deepak and KundiMeigui is now 12-years old and is doing well from the most recent letters and pictures I have received!

If any of you would like to bring attention to any causes or organizations that you support, feel free to leave a comment on this post.

Colin Bhowmik

No comments:

Post a Comment